Re: Boeing's ATT....

Message posted by Sundog on November 11, 2003 at 23:46:49 PST:

With regard to Senior Citizen, it might be more like a low aspect ratio version of the B-2. I base this on a report I have which is AIAA-91-3169 "Alternative Designs/Propulsion Concepts for a Low Signature Small Military Transport". It was written by C. Patterson, J. Champion, and K. Sebek from the Wright Laboratory at Wright-Pat AFB. It is from the AIAA Aircraft Design Systems and Operations Meeting back in 1991. There are three variations of the same design shown in the report and they are all sort of a fat (top to bottom) flying wing of low aspect ratio. The three types studied were for lift + Lift/Cruise (L+L/C) engines, shaft driven fans for lift and tip driven (bleed air) lift fans. The L+L/C engine version was the smallest and had the best performance.

I could also understand how this aircraft or one similar wouldn't be useful in the civilian market as it most likely has a much higher operating cost than either helicopters or tilt rotors and it's speed advantage over the tilt rotor probably isn't enough to be a factor commercially due to it's higher operating costs.

I do hope we see pictures soon though since the last prize we had revealed was the Bird of Prey. BTW, sort of off topic, but does anyone think the BoP is what was known as the flying artichoke? I mean, when you consider what people described and consider how the BoP looks from below, I wouldn't be shocked. Afterall, the sightings of the flying Artichoke took place while BoP program was active and I haven't heard of any reports since.

In Reply to: Boeing's ATT.... posted by F-117A Webmaster on November 09, 2003 at 23:38:08 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]