Re: Groom lake road in winter

Message posted by lone wolf on November 07, 2003 at 20:39:58 PST:

I'm generally in Las Vegas in January and have made a trip to the border for about 4 years. I think there was only snow once. The year I was there with snow, the visit to the border was extra special. The snow absorbs much of the sound. When I was there, it was so quiet I could hear the cammo dude radios. Of course, the best part was when I first arrived, there were no cammo dudes present. They sent the chopper to the front gate (a relatively rare occurance I suspect), then the cammo dudes eventually showed up. I guess they didn't think anyone would show up on a snow covered road. I don't recall if it was a weekday or weekend.

The dirt combined with snow can get slippery. If the snow is fresh, it may be better to make the trip early in the morning while it is still cold rather than later in the day when the snow begins to melt. I did a photo session at Bald Mountain in the AM once and found leaving the area in late morning was much more challenging that the early morning trip on the snow covered road.

In Reply to: Groom lake road in winter posted by Rose-chan on November 07, 2003 at 15:53:37 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]