Please keep the following guidelines in mind when you are watching the skies near Area 51. It will make your trip more pleasant, and should help keep you out of trouble.
- NEVER cross the border of the restricted area for ANY reason. In case of an emergency, signal the security guards that you need help. They will call out the sheriff to assist you.
- Do not park on Groom Lake Road. There is a dirt parking area on the right, about 1/4 mile before the signs that indicate the end of travel. From there it is an easy hike to the border. There is another, smaller parking area right by the signs, but it is not suitable for vehicles with low ground clearance.
- Stay away from the Medlin Ranch. Please do not bother the people that work at the ranch.
- Do not park or camp near the White Mailbox, or on Mailbox Road. A good parking/camping spot is off the road on the right as you turn into Mailbox Road from Hwy. 375.
- When you approach a group of watchers at night dim your lights as soon as possible. Headlights, especially on high beam, will ruin everyone's night vision.
- Keep flashlight use to a minimum. It can be very distracting for other watchers.
- Avoid camp fires near other sky watchers for the same reason.
- When you camp out with others, do not play loud music. Noise makes it difficult to hear approaching planes etc.
- Pick up all trash before you leave your camp site. There are trash barrels at the Little A'Le'Inn in Rachel, on Hancock Summit and Coyote Summit and several other locations along Hwy. 375.