Re: Staying in Vegas next Year...

Message posted by Frank Stamm on September 30, 2003 at 22:34:04 PST:

Could'nt get into this earlier, I became a grandfather this weekend. I have been a pilot and aerial photographer in the northeast since 1979. I flew a 1967 Cessna 210 from 1984 to 1992. C-210 had struts till 1967 then they lost the struts and became the Centurion. Generally speaking Cessna seats run like this:
172, 182 and early 210s have four seats.
Later 210 and 206 have six seats.
207 can have up to 8 seats.
As a rule the higher the model # the wider the cabin and more power. Also all the Cessna windows have the window struts except the P-210. They can be disconnected but speed limitations must be followed or the window will bend. I installed a bubble window on the right side of my 210 but most all rentals aren't so equiped.
Even though the 182 has the strut I would recomend it for the trip just because it is more available and a good balance for payload and range. It is also better equiped for the weather and terain most most likely to be encountered. I have researched this type of trip since 1990. There aren't many charter operators willing to enter that section of Nevada. There are only a few aircraft rental FOBs in the LAS area. There is a considerable amount of pre-flight planning to be made to get a worthwile flight for the expense. I would be glad to share my data - even work towards a co-share flight if anyone is interested. I work for United so travel to LAS isn't a problem- just scheduling. And the post about cooler weather- factor in wind chill. A 100kt wind blasting on you at 8500' on a 20f day can cause frostbite in seconds. BUT winter gives us the best visibilty for distance. Anyone interested respond here and I will foward my email address.

In Reply to: Re: Staying in Vegas next Year... posted by lone wolf on September 27, 2003 at 16:14:22 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]