Re: Rookie

Message posted by lone wolf on September 04, 2003 at 18:08:00 PST:

Cell phones basically don't work. You may get reception on the ET highway where you can "see" vegas, but it is unlikely. The last spot to use a cell phone is at the intersection of the ET highway( really 318) and route 93, i.e. the now defunct Fresh Alien Jerky shop spot.

Most of the dirt roads are fine for a car, even a sports car, but I would suggest driving a bit slower than suggested speeds in the event you hit a dip or bump that causes a low clearance vehicle to bottom out. To be specific, I think you could visit the front gate (Groom Lake Road), and the back gate (road just south of Rachel, not marked). Cedar Pass Road is paved. With some caution, you can drive up to the parking area on Coyote Summit with a sports car, but I would suggest parking by the side of the road and walking up the hill first to judge the road for yourself. Parking on the gravel by the ET highway at night would be no problems. The location should be on the GPS list on this site.

This website has many frequencies listed on it. If you have a typical scanner (i.e. not military air band capable), I would suggest plugging in the Groom Lake VOR freq (117.5Mhz AM I think, but look it up). Once you can hear the VOR, you can hear anything on the base.

In Reply to: Rookie posted by patf on September 04, 2003 at 17:51:36 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]