Exotic Bird Watchers Report Red Flag aug-11 and 12th

Message posted by Aaron Johnson on August 13, 2003 at 21:28:40 PST:

This is my brief summary of the "Red Flag" observations which was done on Monday, Aug 11th and Tuesday, Aug 12th. After leaving Alamo to head out to the Little A-le-Inn, we saw what I now believe to be a low-flying F-15 heading into the combat range area over Hwy 375. We missed the morning Flag but we caught 2 F-15e's busting a move and egressing doing terrain masking flying.
In the late afternoon at 5:20 pm on Coyote Summit both Norio and I and F150 (from Fresno) and Chuck Clark observed 2 Panavia Tornadoes going into the range followed by
four F-16s approximatley 1 to 2 minutes later! There was a lot of TDH actvitiy (Too Damn High) mostly were furballs and were F15's that were in the mix ups. There was a lot of radio chatter on the scanners.

On Tuesday Aug-12: in the morning a lot of furballs and again TDH again. Some came low enough too see again F-15's establishing air superority. Yee Haw ! Fight's on!
I recall 2 F-16's doing NOE over Coyote heading in the ranges to cause a little havoc he he:)and Jim Bob showed up a little later. Chuck came and said hello and had to leave to Vegas to do some personal matters.

Tue,Aug,12th Afternoon: in the opening stages again F-15's mixing it up doing CAP=Comabt air patrol . Fight's, on fight's on . Yee Haw! A little later a total of 4 15's flew by Coyote. First flight of 2 followed by another 2. A few minutes later they went into the ranges to deal with their targets! And again DLR members Norio and myself and Jim Bob and dlr chat member F150. One F-15E on egress came over us at approx 200 feet nearly right over us on Coyote Summit. I would like to thank Jim Bob for his knowledge and assistance on sorting out some of the action heard on the scanners. NOTE: there will be more in the trip report to be posted by no later than saturday night!.

Exotic Bird Watcher: Aaron Johnson.
PS: The best part of the Red Flag is still to come in the last week of August and that we are looking forward to lonewolf's report.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]