Re: Hello

Message posted by Andre' M. Dall'au on July 04, 2003 at 15:01:04 PST:

Charlie,
Thanks for posting. If you have time, scan through the various DLR pages and most of your questions will be answered. Look at the maps to see which of the roads you should use to get to the gates. Of course a stop in Rachel and the Little A'Le'Inn for luch is a must. A big reminder to RESPECT THE BOUNDARIES. You can drive right up to the signs, BUT GO NO FURTHER. You will be under observation once you get close to the signs, so I would not reccommend anything that would give the Cammos reason to act. Take water with you as if you break down - even though you will be close to a federal installation - you will be on your own until civilian help arrives. Cellphones are weak and sporatic - so don't count on them to get you out of trouble. If you are in a car - don't try cross country or off-roading - tires blow and axles break very easily in that terrain, and don't speed on the dirt roads - hit a wash or rock at sixty and you'll be wishing you took that "comprehensive" coverage for your rental Geo. (Probably would be void anyway as most rental contract insurance is void off a paved road - read the fine print). Dress for the sun, take a camera with a good 200mm lens for shots of the cammos, and remember they are doing a rotten job, so baiting them is asking for it. Recent events make me less prone to urge you to play by the rules, but remember you are in their area, and like a cop once told be "you might beat the rap, but you won't beat the ride". If you are going to hike around the gates, wear broke-in comfortable boots, carry your gear in a pack to keep your hands free, and wear your water in canteens or a camelback (highly recommended). Hat and sunblock for long exposure, and if you leave your vehicle, be ready for the cammos to cruise by and jot down your liscense and look over your ride. They'll wait until you can't get back to it before they leave, but they will run a check on the car and probabaly you. If you have any wants or warrents outstanding I'll bet you'd meet the sheriff on the way out. Go ahead and post a trip report on your return. Have a safe and fun trip.

In Reply to: Hello posted by Charlie Hess on July 04, 2003 at 13:15:18 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]