Re: George Knapp article

Message posted by Homersonic on June 27, 2003 at 21:51:31 PST:

In my opinion (and I must preface this by noting that I am not an expert on the Area 51 situation, just George Average College Student), I think Mr. Knapp hit it on the head when he suggested that this is a convenient preface to either a land grab, or frankly, just a convenient time to do something like this.

If Mr. Clark is a "pain in the arse," why not remove him under the auspices of "Protecting the Nation From Terrorism"?

It's very convenient in this time to remove annoyances. They're doing it all over the Metro Detroit area, where I live, and where there are a LOT of Arab Americans. Some of the raids, busts, wiretappigns, etc. have been valid; the great majority of them are simply a violation of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution, excused because this is a difficult time.

The line between protecting the nation, which I feel IS important, and doing harm to a hardworking, loyal American citizen because it's convenient to eliminate any perceived threat in this political climate.

If you'll pardon the mini rant:

I understand that it's very important to protect the U.S. right now. I know that a lot of people work very hard so I can finish my degree and become another moderately successful blue-collar guy. I appreciate greatly the work and sacrifices that people make to ensure that I can live my little life in safety.

But it really bothers me that when somebody stands up and questions the goverment, or when somebody is even ever so slighly "suspicious" in the government's eyes right now, it's OK to raid Chuck Clark's trailer or wiretap Mahmoud who works at the party store on Michigan Avenue under the auspices of "antiterrorism."

It could be assumed with some safety that, in this time of conflict, high-technology aviation is receiving increased funding, and that activities at Area 51 and other goverment facilities are on the rise. I understand that the goverment must keep these secret, and that's all right. But I don't think that the "war on terror" is any excuse to allow the goverment to also get away with bullying and hurting people who are genuinely interested in what the government is doing with their tax money.

I think that just as the men and women at Area 51 and wherever else have the right to do their work, Mr. Clark and anyone else who's curious has a right to ask questions and search for answers about the base and the practices of the people who work there to make sure that no laws are being broken and that the workers are not being subjected to undue harm.

Mr. Clark, Mr. Arnu, and all who are interested in the Groom Lake facility are not terrorists who wish to harm others, but are instead patriots (at least in my opinion) who are willing to work hard to make sure the goverment's held accountable for what it's doing with our money. There is nothing wrong with a fascination with military aviation and a curiosity about what's coming next, so to speak. I have no doubt that there are more "nexts" in the pipeline than usual at this point in history.

But the idea that the goverment is allowed to search, wiretap, or otherwise hassle people who are simply doing their holding the goverment accountable for its actions?

I am not willing to put blind faith in my goverment, no matter what threats emperil it, real or imagined. I am not willing to turn a blind eye to what the goverment is doing with taxpayer money. And I am not willing to allow good people like Mr.'s Clark and Arnu to be harrassed and bullied by my goverment under the guise of "protecting the country from terrorism," whether there are increased activities at the base or not. As a voter, taxpayer, and proud American, I feel it's essential, especially in times like these, to retain a critical eye towards our goverment and its actions.

I'm sorry, I guess this turned into a bit of a rant. I don't mean any harm to anybody. I don't think there are little green men, and I don't care if my goverment will hassle me because I question it; I feel this is something worth making noise about, and discussing in a reasonable manner. Mr. Clark and Mr. Arnu deserve to be treated like American citizens and not terrorists. I do not think that investigating either individual is a proper allocation of public funds. I feel the need to speak out right now, and I hope you don't mind that I have.

In Reply to: Re: George Knapp article posted by NC-Nighthawk on June 27, 2003 at 20:40:37 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]