Re: what the?

Message posted by lone wolf on March 24, 2003 at 19:04:44 PST:

I don't agree with the war, but love to see those Saddam paintings, muruals, whatever torn down, bulldozed down with tanks, etc. [Not as good as seeing that Romanian jerk ripped to pieces, but it's still early in the game.] It's the collateral damage and friendly fire that gets to me, not to mention that whack job who threw the granades into the tents then mowed down those who came out of the tents. It's a wonder the guy wasn't shot on the spot.

To keep things remotely on target, there are two things in the war in the high tech realm I found of interest. Once is the downing of the RAF Tornado by a patriot. As you know from listenting to Red Flag, the AWACS calls the targets, so did the IFF fail? Then there is the role of the patriot station. Was it there to intercept missile, planes, or a either target. One would imagine a Tornado doesn't look like a scud, and certainly flies much slower.

The other thing of interest is the number of smart bombs that just plain didn't work correctly. Three landed in Iran, and two in Turkey. GPS Jamming? Defects? Slipped digits on the coordinates? Bad intel? In the fog of war, will we ever know the answer? Syria is making noises about their civilians getting bombed by the US, but from what I can tell they were in Iraq but near the border.

The link provided goes into a bit of depth regarding how the Patriot missile system works.

Attached link: Patriot system operation

In Reply to: Re: what the? posted by Magoo on March 24, 2003 at 18:24:52 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]