Re: Military Air corridors over US Midwest

Message posted by Homersonic on February 25, 2003 at 23:06:03 PST:

All I can tell you is that I do know that the Great Lakes are used rather regularly for both transit and exercises. My family and I vacation at the shore of Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in the Summer and we see F-16s in transit to and from a training range over the lake on a very, very regular basis. From Selfridge near Mt. Clemens north of Detroit to Superior is about a half an hour flight and they train over Huron extensively as well.

This is just a guess, but given the location of Wright-Patterson, if I wanted to test something "fun" out, I'd snake my way over to the lake and do my testing over water, 'cause the only people you're likely to bother are some ore boat guys, although that's a rather crowded air corridor between Detroit, Toronto, and Cleveland...

That being said, I don't think it's difficult at all to get permission to skirt over Southwestern Ontario to Lake Huron, which is a lot more quiet and bigger. And considering that something like 50 million metric tons of iron ore was transported on the Lakes this year, the military has a very good excuse to be patrolling the waterways from the St. Lawrence to Duluth. The lakes are used for training and definitely for protection, so why not find a quiet corner of Erie, Huron, or Superior to take something out for a test drive? It's quite plausible. Transit over the lakes makes a lot of sense as well--less people to annoy.

In Reply to: Military Air corridors over US Midwest posted by October Six on February 25, 2003 at 18:06:14 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]