Re: Groom Lake on the National Register of Historic Places?

Message posted by EyezOfTheWorld on February 23, 2003 at 23:05:14 PST:

Greetings,

My idea of getting Groom Lake on the NRHP wouldn't entail Area 51 secrets being released to the public. I was just thinking of getting it recognized as somewhere in the U.S. historic for developing technology that has contributed to national security and will more than likely continue to do so.

I don't think there'd necessarily be a benefit, just the recognition that the place is there. I don't know the procedures after filing the nomination... maybe whoever handles the case might wonder, "Hmmmmmmm...." I'm guessing the designation wouldn't be made, not now, not while the place is so darn top secret... but ya never know what could happen, even if the odds are one in a million... someone hits that jackpot eventually.

Oh and uh, it would hafta be Groom specifically. On the NRHP, it is basically individual sites that are chosen... i don't believe anywhere as broad as a valley or a whole town is listed. The listings are basically homes, buildings, mines, railroad depots, etc... the biggest area of a listing would be a historic district of a town (like 5 square blocks or something), and i think in some cases whole farms rather than just a single barn or historic hay silo... so what i was thinking was nominating the whole area of Groom Lake as that would probably qualify and not have to be narrowed down.

I don't know the exact process but I imagine it includes telling why the place is important. Someone other than me could probably put together a pretty detailed page-long (or longer) narrative... if someone wanted to go ahead and get the ball rolling on this idea. Like i said, it probably wouldn't hurt.

Chris

In Reply to: Re: Groom Lake on the National Register of Historic Places? posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on February 22, 2003 at 19:00:52 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]