Is Increased Gov't Security Due to "Orange" Threat Level a Problem for A51 Viewers?

Message posted by Quadaxial on February 12, 2003 at 10:27:17 PST:

With all this news about the military stepping up security at their bases, the increased Homeland Security terrorist threat level, the impending war with Iraq and the news about North Korea and their ballistic missiles (and potential nukes), I wonder if this means more Area 51 watchers will be hassled or arrested near the base?

The cammo dudes rarely have had a problem with people taking pictures of them or the area despite the very clear warning signs around the perimeter. As far as I can tell, there has also never been a problem with people climbing Tikaboo and spending hours monitoring the base visual and with radios.

In my naive opinion, it seems to me that the cammo dudes have just been merely 'nice' to us, not wanting to draw undue attention to the base (and paperwork and procedural questions from their supervisors) to enforce 'laws' that they really could enforce. Your average Area 51 tourist means and can do really no harm.

But what about now? If their security is stepping up and their paranoia increasing (they have patrol D.C. and NYC with stinger missle trucks now) what's stopping them from enforcing those 'no photography' 'laws' and such?

I ask because I'd like to visit the base again in March or April... though I'm worried about being hassled or landing in trouble due to 'increased security protocol'.

Anyway, your thoughts everyone?

Thanks for tolerating my run-ons!
take care,

Jason

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]