Re: Tikaboo Peak Gear

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on December 16, 2002 at 19:48:51 PST:

I assume you have read our page on Tikaboo in the Maps section. If not, see the attached link for directions how to get there and some basic tips.

If you are planning to go this time of year, you have my highest respect. ;-)
Between November and April there is a good chance that you run into snow. If you plan to spend the night up there, definitely take a tent or extra warm sleeping bag. The nights are extremely cold up there. There is plenty of fire wood and several fire rings.

Layered clothing, and good hiking boots are recommended. You may need your hands to make it up the first steep part with loose shale, so use a pack that can hold everything you are planning to carry.

Bring binoculars, and if you have one, your scanner. Grab the longest lens you have for your camera (500+mm). Bring plenty of food and water (in summer AT LEAST one gallon per person and day).

As for transportation, a 4WD with high clearance saves you about 1/2 mile of the hike (but that is the easy part...) A 2WD can make it to Badger Spring, as long as you cross sandy spots at a steady speed.

When I go up there I always let someone in Rachel know where I am going, and when I am planning to be back. Just in case. There is somewhat unreliable cellphone coverage at the top, but not in the valley where you park your vehicle, and not for most of the hike.

Good luck, and please let us know how it went when you get back.

Attached link: Tikaboo Peak Map

In Reply to: Tikaboo Peak Gear posted by Bill on December 16, 2002 at 17:21:17 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]