Re: Badger Mountain

Message posted by Tom on October 07, 2002 at 20:18:01 PST:

I guess I'll weigh in with my 2 cents.

Back a few years when the Nellis Range renewal EIS was being processed, I attended a public meeting with Glenn Campbell and had a chance to talk with one of the high ranking military muckity-mucks who ran the range, after the meeting was over (I also got input from a pilot).

The guy described these things on the mountain tops around the Nellis range as devices that measure the 3D positions of the aircraft participating in the various Flag exercises, and relayed it back to Nellis control center (Blackjack??) for real time aircraft position display. I seem to recall specifically asking about Badger. They had some sort of typical 3 or 4 letter acronym like that was something like TDRS (but it WASN'T the NASA communication relay satellites!) I later noticed the EIS documentation also contained a description of these units. I'm pretty sure the acronym started with a "T". I'd be a bit skeptical of the things being some sort of "electric eye trip beam" surrounding A51. The facility on Bald Mountain should provide all the surveillance the place will ever need.

Tom

In Reply to: Re: Badger Mountain posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on October 06, 2002 at 15:22:59 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]