Re: TNCAP (Tom)

Message posted by Magoo on December 26, 2000 at 17:30:22 EST:

Tom

You're right, in fact, things may not have relaxed as much as you think. Without going into specifics as I do not want to compromise him in any way, I have a case in point to relate...

I have an acquaintance who recently retired from a senior position in a branch of the armed forces. He had just completed 21 years with several honors awarded to him, and wanted to extend his service. However, in the past year he has been through a nasty divorce and then had a major traffic accident where he was at fault in a foreign country. He was basically offered the choice of retirement, or of being posted back to a desk job at a base that "...wasn't necessarily of his choosing!" Naturally, he took the package!

In the years I have known him, he has always been the consumate professional, and has never told me anything that he shouldn't have. I never hassled him for information, but he knew how curious I was about what he had done and seen! He has worked on several top-secret programs at various locations (he did tell me where, and no, it wasn't Groom) and holds the highest level of security clearance that someone of his rank could obtain. (is it TS/SSBI or similar?)

He has told me that he feels he was given this choice basically because it was felt the divorce and the accident may have potentially compromised him, to the point where his judgement has been impaired enough to be a security risk.

Once, over a beer (or three), he did tell me that people basically 'talk' about what they have seen or heard, for one of three reasons...

1) Reward - They are being blackmailed or paid for the information.

2) Revenge - They feel they have been 'hard done by' (e.g. passed over for promotion, bad posting, unfairly dismissed etc).

3) Attention - They have a personality disorder that makes them crave the attention that such a revelation would bring, despite the risks.

and of course, we all know of...

4) Hearsay/Bullshit! - They have either heard or read something, added their own little spin to it (e.g. 2+2=5!), and given it a life of its own by putting it 'out there', either on a forum such as this, or by doing a 'Bob Lazar'!

Magoo

In Reply to: Re: TNCAP (Tom) posted by Tom on December 25, 2000 at 22:06:04 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]