Re: First Badger Mountain Hike (6/29/2002)

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on July 08, 2002 at 14:29:23 PST:

Thanks Dave. From the lack of feedback I was beginning to think no one was interested in Badger.

I parked at the lower staging area for the Tikaboo hike (before it gets really steep). I camped there for the night, and started at 5.30am on Saturday. Hiked NNE, then E up in a wash. This part is the steepest. You get to a saddle, similar to the Tikaboo hike. Unfortunately then you have to hike across another wash, giving away much of the elevation you had already gained. From the bottom of that wash there is a wash leading roughly east right up to the transmitter.

I am in the process of moving, so I don't know when I get to it. But I'll upload some photos, and some waypoints that show roughly which way I went.

The site is definitely military. There were a few plates, and I took photos of all. Have to wait til I get the photos back. There were also two markers, not USGS as usual, but "Department of the Air Force".

My scanner goes up to 1.3 GHz, and my counter to 2.8 GHz. So there is a good chance that the transmitter was out of my range. The field strength meter of my counter went up near the cables leading to the dishes, which seems to indicate that they were active.

Note the fact that both pairs of dishes point in the exact same direction, which seems to rule out a repeater function. The dead pair points to Mt. Irish, the other, smaller one roughly to Pioche.

We must have just missed each other. I got to Rachel that Saturday in the early afternoon.

In Reply to: Re: First Badger Mountain Hike (6/29/2002) posted by DaveB on July 08, 2002 at 11:53:52 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]