Re: Military Flares - Slight correction

Message posted by Gunslinger on December 22, 2000 at 18:58:24 EST:

Joerg had a consise, insightful answer - however (excuse me..) I feel I must make a slight correction to this.
There are, indeed, 'illum' flares, the flares used to 'spoof' heat-seaking missiles... and the flares used by 'Night FACS'. These are specialty flares designed during the vietnam war for night-time attacks on the so-called 'Ho Chi Mihn Trail'. The 'Fast FACS' that did such night-time work were usually Huns or Thuds, and tendedn to 'swoop-and-scoot' - do a quick pass and haul ass before they could be hit. Accordingly, special flares that were luancehd from har-point pylons were designed for them. these flares fire from the pylon, being based on the standard dead-head 'Zulu' rockets. After travelling five hundred yards, these then diuscarded the spent motor and ignited. However, under the initial thrust of the motor, they continued to travel in the direction they were fired.

An F-100 or -104 firing a full 4-rocket salvo of such missiles would produce a roughly triangular pattern of four flares that would travel in the direction they were fired at up to 15 knts indicated airspeed, plus the wind factor (if they were with the wind - against the wind, you subtract.)

In Reply to: Re: Military Flares posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on December 22, 2000 at 14:23:09 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]