Re: Radiation at Queen City Summit

Message posted by gary on May 21, 2002 at 20:21:42 PST:

It didn't occur to me to dig to get a higher reading, but I drove to a few areas until I got a hot spot. The interesting thing is some of the radiation is natural, and some is due to fallout. The reading ranges 50 to 70uR. (Not too bad.) I found Faultless to be not radioactive at all, i.e. at the background level. BTW, my readings are beta plus gamma, i.e. with open shield.

I visited the museum at Los Alamos. They have a display of common radioactive items you can find around the house. The older Coleman lanter mantles are pretty hot, but unfortunately they changed the formula so that they are not radioactive. Other "hot" items have thorium coatings, namely certain welding rods and very old lenses where thorium was used in the coating. The really really hot household item is something called Fiesta-ware. It consists of ceramic dishes, cups, etc. that have a bright orange color. Whatever makes it orange has uranium in it.

I have a friend who worked at the Diablo Canyon nuclear reactor. For fun, then would hide those old Coleman lantern mantle in someone's clothing to set off the alarms when the guy tried to exit the building.

In Reply to: Re: Radiation at Queen City Summit posted by Hank on May 21, 2002 at 19:52:36 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]