Re: Russia's new Radical Super Fighter

Message posted by Magoo on December 13, 2000 at 18:27:13 EST:

1) - Not sure I understand the question. There is only one S-37 protoype known to be flying, and so it wouldn't have seen service against the Taliban in Afghanistan. Last I heard, Russia pulled out of Afghanistan years ago.

2) - I doubt it. There is no doubt if the S-37 is fitted with the same radar as being trialled on the Su-37 and advanced R-73 and R-77 AAMs, it will be a significant threat to most western fighter aircraft (F-15, F-16, Rafale etc). The S-37 would also be an awesome dogfighter in close. However I doubt it would be able to match it with an F-22 (or maybe even a Typhoon) at BVR ranges, which is where most air-to-air conflicts will occur in the future.

3) - Certainly Sukhoi (SDB) is a very capable design bureau. Their aircraft are extremely powerful, manoeuverable and rugged, and the radars and missiles they carry are awesome. However, I still think organisations such as LM Skunk Works, Boeing Phantom Works and BAe Systems (and even Dassault in France) hold quite a significant technological lead in airframe and systems design.

4) - I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing extra funding for SDB to design stealth aircraft. The last report I saw said that the entire Russian military received funding of less than US$10 billion in 1999. Only 25% of it's air forces can be described as 'modern' (Su-27/30, MiG-29M, Tu-160, Tu-22M), and up to 60% of its air forces are either grounded or barely serviceable!

Magoo

In Reply to: Re: Russia's new Radical Super Fighter posted by Jose on December 13, 2000 at 17:51:49 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]