Re: Dreamland Resort back up

Message posted by Jon Arason on July 19, 2019 at 2:58:27 PST:

I agree, I'm running a website with over 50.000 hits per day, my monthly cost is below $5. How? Use Amazon Web Services in combination with Cloudflare.

1. Use Amazon S3 to store the static content (.html files).
2. Cloudflare to cache the html files in regions all around the world for free. This means that the content is only fetched from your S3 bucket if it isn't cached in Cloudflare.

The forums? It seems like it uses some old cgi script that generates HTML files. I highly recommend finding a new solution that fits into the Amazon Web Services picture above, where you could generate static html files on demand to a S3 bucket, e.g. by using AWS Lambda + API Gateway.

Additionally, this website is not running on HTTPS, which means that anyone on my wifi network can sniff my packets and see my email and password when I write something on this forum. HTTPS certs are free and you can use Cloudflare to do that magic for you for free.

A website like this should only cost about $1 or less per month to run if done right.

In Reply to: Re: Dreamland Resort back up posted by Nick on July 18, 2019 at 12:39:19 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]