Re: F-117's To Be Permanently Retired.

Message posted by gordy on November 06, 2017 at 18:24:12 PST:

This discussion reminds me of the time I flew to VNY to visit family. I arrived very late. The tower was closed. Surprisingly, I taxied under the wing of a KC135, and right past an SR-71 on my way to the Million Air ramp.
Proceeding West on the Northern ramp, I noticed a small aircraft with armed military guards. After parking, I made it a point to stroll across the tarmac and struck up a conversation with one of the M-16 bearers. They seemed displeased as this was one of the first times the F-117 had been to an airshow, and I probably shouldn't be there. After some brief observations I begrudgingly left. What I did notice, however, was that even though it was in the cool of the evening, the aircraft still reeked of solvent. MEK to be more specific. This would lead me to believe that the RAM on the F-117 could be something as simple as carbon impregnated PVC. Since it's a sub-sonic platform and not exposed to the friction of supersonic flight, it makes perfect sense. However, PVC exposed to UV will deteriorate over time. Thus the necessity of retirement. 1 Corinthians 1:27.

In Reply to: Re: F-117's To Be Permanently Retired. posted by Gregos on November 06, 2017 at 11:39:57 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]