Re: Edwards AFB

Message posted by Peter Merlin on December 29, 2015 at 17:14:45 PST:

I'm not sure if I'm looking at the same picture, but the one I see appears to have been taken on a weekend when the South Base parking lot was empty. The B-2 model was still there. FYI: South Base doesn't have site numbers. I think you are confusing not with AF Plant 42 in Palmdale.

The SRBs at NASA Armstrong Flight Research Center are destined for the space shuttle Endeavor display at the California Science Center in Los Angeles. The orbiter will eventually be mounted on the external tank and boosters to display it in launch condition.

The X-34s are in awful condition after being stored outdoors for many years including a stint on the Edwards bombing range, and several months on the lakebed during both rain and dust storms. The main gear from Ship 1 was cannibalized for use on the Sierra Nevada Corporation's Dream Chaser lifting body prototype.

Some of the old historic hangars at North Base were demolished. One of them was well on its way to falling down on its own. Sad to see them go, but it wasn't practical to preserve them.

The Space Shuttle Mate/De-Mate Device (MDD) is also gone.

In Reply to: Edwards AFB posted by Rodeo65 on December 28, 2015 at 21:19:01 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]