Re: Sauron Mini Spy Satellites?

Message posted by uncleaina on November 10, 2013 at 13:47:32 PST:

Not trying to get too off-topic here. I think by seeing all the types of platforms that are out there, it's easier to imagine what's going on at A51.

Perhaps the question to ask is what is a major goal of the work that goes on at A51 - to SEE what's going on w/o being seen doing it.

Oxcart, Roadrunner, drones, stealth..

Already there are commercial systems like Rapideye (now called Blackbridge) which are basically a SAURON-like system. They lack big solar panels and could be made very stealthy. Since this technology is already available to the public (with ~1m resolution), then I think it's reasonable that NRO has had something much better for years.

And I see a recent press release from the Navy Post-Grad school about how they've got a great payload multi-launcher just like what would be required to send 24x satellites up at once.
So...maybe...something like SAURON is real.

As an aside, I haven't been on this board in a while, so I need to do some reading and learn more about the new buildings I see and what else has been going on around here..

Attached link: http://www.nps.edu/About/News/NPS-CubeSat-Prepares-to-See-Space-By-Way-of-New-Payload-Platform-.html

In Reply to: Re: Sauron Mini Spy Satellites? posted by NoOne on November 09, 2013 at 19:30:35 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]