Re: trip to area 51

Message posted by X51 on January 15, 2013 at 20:46:35 PST:

Hi Mark,

I am glad that my post may have been of use to you..

Yes I was not greatly experienced, or informed compared to some members on here...

But I had done some basic research and asked questions on Dreamland resort like you are doing now before going..

I just didn't do all the preparation that perhaps I should compared to others on here...

Being on a budget was the main reason as its an expensive trip if you fly to L.V first from outside USA. Then the cost of Car hire and accomodation..

I stayed in a cheaper motel in Alamo to keep costs down.. at about $42 a night if I recall..I think it was called the Alamo Inn....Its only basic, but suited me for what I needed for a few days...

If you want more comfort check out the windmill lodge as Gregas suggested..

As for dealing with the Rough track or unpaved road...

I was fine up to the end as you approach the 1st car park area...Then I was not sure if my vehicle would make it past a dip in the road..even though I was in a 4 wheel drive jeep... But this was small compared to some that you can hire that have much larger wheels and they can deal with larger dips in the terrain..

It was the 1st time that I had even driven a 4 wheel drive, so it took a bit to get used to...but once out of Vegas and onto the 15 and then onto the 93 highways..it was fine..

The part that I didn't like was trying to get onto the 93 Highway from Vegas...

I do not like the main highway 15 that leads to it.. not being used to USA driving on the right hand side..and some of the turn offs can seem very busy. or you can head North through Vegas and meet the 93 highway that I did once before...but navigating to the right place can be a bit tricky without SAT NAV...

I found the worst part of the Hike was trying to determine what one should take in terms of food and water. Its always recommended to take a lot of water, but it weighs a lot.. If I recall I took at least a Gallon..but I didn't use it all..Putting your rucksack on the right way and getting the weight distribution correct makes things easier when climbing..

Something that I didn't do was take a Gun, but I have read others suggest that you should...

I don't think generally you will meet dangerous animals or snakes, but they do frequent the area.

I came across a snake on another trip around ( Lower level) the area..and it was a surprise to see it..
I suspect Mountain Lions could also be around.. But Ive never heard of anyone having any problems with them. Then I suppose there always the very slight chance of meeting up with the wrong people, but again Ive never read anything happen to anyone out there hiking..

Gregas is very knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to advice on trips to and around Area 51...

In Reply to: Re: trip to area 51 posted by Mark on January 14, 2013 at 13:24:45 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]