Re: MAFEX NOTAM

Message posted by Gregos on December 03, 2012 at 9:43:56 PST:

Yeah, we saw you as we passed by the Ranch. We parked just short of Cedar Gate. there is a high spot about a 1/4 mile or so before it where you can see the KENO airstrip clearly.

While waiting around, Alamo's airfield came into conversation. We joked that the exercise is probably there and here we are at KENO freezing our biscuits off! I knew it wasn't as my FOIA reply specifically names KENO and I had a gut feeling it was cancelled when the NOTAM was removed BEFORE the expiration time. But we had a laugh anyway. The USAF has used Alamo Landing Field (L92) for exercises in the past. The last I know of was when the F-15C crashed in Alamo / Crystal Springs on October 24, 2011. The 820th Red Horse Squadron used it as a staging area.

On the way home I stopped by Alamo Landing Field. You can no longer drive right onto the gravel runway as they fenced it off. It is no longer gravel but now a beautiful asphalt strip as well. There were temporary yellow panel markers "Xing" over the runway numbers (32). No sign of hangars or tower but a few construction trailers. There was one Beechcraft airplane parked near the numbers at runway 32. Looks like it's goning to be a really nice airport. AirNav also replaced my photo taken from the antenna hill to the west and replaced it with a recent one.

Attached link: 820th Red Horse Recovery

In Reply to: Re: MAFEX NOTAM posted by Bongo on December 02, 2012 at 9:58:37 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]