Re: OT: NRO VAFB

Message posted by Peter Merlin on September 13, 2012 at 23:06:33 PST:

I was at Vandenberg today for the Atlas launch. The weather was spectacular with clear blue skies except in the immediate vicinity of the launch pad. My usual spot, about four miles north of the launch pad was socked in with thick fog, so I moved to an alternate spot five miles northeast of the pad, and about a mile outside the edge of the fog bank.

I got to listen to the launch director's net, which is always great when the director polls the room for Go/No-Go calls on all systems. The excitement in the voices as they acknowledge systems ready is known as "Go Fever." It is one of my favorite parts of every launch.

Right on schedule, there was a loud boom and the Atlas punched through the fog and thundered skyward. With no solid fuel boosters, the Atlas made a stately departure on a southward trajectory that made it look like it was headed for Los Angeles.

Although few details were available, due to the secret nature of the primary payload, officials said it was a successful launch.

In Reply to: OT: NRO VAFB posted by wheresjanet on September 12, 2012 at 22:29:51 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]