Re: any stories?

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on February 11, 2002 at 19:31:34 PST:

Great idea for a new discussion. As Magoo pointed out we have many interesting accounts in our Trip Reports section. But lets see if we can share some interesting experiences here on the board.

While hiking near the border I had several close encounters with the Cammos. When you get too close they like to yell at you. Like: "Don't come any closer or you will get arrested". Or on one occasion: "Be careful, there's snakes down there". Of course, as long as you are on public land you can safely ignore them.

One of my more memorable encounters happened last summer. I was hiking in a very remote location north of White Sides, where the border forms a 90 degree angle. I hiked right along the border on public land, about a half mile from the next dirt road. The usual security vehicle showed up, stopped by my parked truck and then drove back and forth on the dirt road for a while. When I continued my hike, not paying much attention to them, they decided to be a bit more direct. Across the desert they came barreling right at me with their Ford F-150, at breakneck speed. They crossed the border onto public land, then slammed on the brakes, stopping within inches of me and covering me in a cloud of dust. The door flew open, the driver jumped out, and we exchanged a few compliments. In the course of our friendly conversation, during which he was verbally backed up by his passenger from inside the vehicle, I explained to him that I was on public land, and that they had no authority to arrest me. Which must have made sense to him, because he eventually jumped back into the truck and took off, back to the road. Of course not without covering me in another cloud of dust.

In Reply to: any stories? posted by Ray on February 11, 2002 at 15:34:15 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]