Re: Things to do near A51 during the day?

Message posted by FosterVS on August 08, 2012 at 19:16:59 PST:

If you camp at Campfire Hill, expect the dudes to pester you at night, spotlight you, etc.

If you get a moonless or near moonless night, and not cloudy, expect some amazing star watching.

Stop at Ash Springs, nice warm FREE hotspring at:
37°27'49.04"N, 115°11'32.29"W
There are little fish in here that nibble at your skin, doesn't hurt so don't panic :)

Other than stopping at Rachel there isn't much else to do during the day, not driving an RV. Make damn sure you top up your gas tank at Alamo or Ash Springs.

I have camped at a number of places in the area, sometimes with my holiday trailer. If Red Flag isn't on, or it's during weekend and nothing is flying out of Nellis, chances are you won't see much of anything.

Speaking of Nellis... you are almost guaranteed to see military aircraft flying in and out of Nellis, weekdays during "business hours". It can turn a Area 51 trip of likely seeing nothing into excitement, watching the military jets taking off and heading out to the range for maneuvers. Here is one spot you can sit and watch the action:
36°15'29.41"N, 115° 1'28.69"W

Also, just east of Nellis are the "Las Vegas Dunes":
36°16'54.57"N, 114°57'4.85"W
I rode my dirtbike through there a few years back, I wanted to get some pictures of Nellis Area 2 at:
36°15'1.59"N, 114°57'34.34"W
It is a pretty awesome offroad area, right in metro Las Vegas. I never did it, but I wonder what the rules are about camping there. Park the rig there for the night, watch the jets taking off and landing at Nellis... hmmm, time for a road trip me thinks!

In Reply to: Re: Things to do near A51 during the day? posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on August 08, 2012 at 12:11:19 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]