ET Highway Full Moon Midnight Marathon

Message posted by BobM on August 06, 2012 at 12:40:59 PST:

Well we finished the race! Rachel has a Midnight Marathon once a year in August and is the weekend whenever the moon is full. I believe this is Rachel's biggest event of the year as the population swells to well over 1000 people (not bad for a town of 50). Folks start rolling in around noon and in the early evening the event starts getting set up. The buses from Vegas pull out about 8:30pm from the Hard Rock and drop the runners off for the Ultra Marathon and the Marathon at the Black Mailbox, then they continue down 375 towards Rachel and drop the 1/2 Marathoners off 7 miles closer. The buses then continue to Rachel to drop off the 10k'ers and wait for all the runners to finish.

For a town that is so quiet normally you know when one car is on the highway it is wild. They have a costume contest so some people have those on, alot of people have glow necklaces wrapped all over themselves and everyone is having a good time.

The Ultra Marathoners and the Marathoners start at midnight, at 12:30am they start the Half Marathoners and at 1am the 10kers head out. We walked the 10k and had a 71yo woman with it who finished with us. If any of you run (I don't but my gf does) or feel like you might want to try it come join us in Rachel next August...it's a very cool experience to be going down the middle of the highway with just moonlight and have 100's of people around wearing headlamps and glow necklaces. As a bonus you get a nice tee shirt and a medal. Joerg, you're doing this next year!

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]