Re: Western Access to Tikaboo Pk?

Message posted by Gregos on June 15, 2012 at 14:52:16 PST:

I love exploring the desert, I could stay out there for days! Gas is the problem. There is no official gas station in Rachel so range is a factor. A dirt road can go on for 20 or so miles. That's 40 miles round trip or about 3 gallons of gas for me! Once I was up by Warm Springs and running low. I had to go all the way to Tonopah to tank up so I could make it back to Rachel then Ash Springs 50 miles away where the gas station is!

As for the Rachel side, you must be referring to the photos of the Back Gate area. There are some dirt roads going in from there. Once again, Joerg made a excellent boundary plug in for Google Earth. You can see all the dirt roads that cross the restricted boarder so you have a good idea when your getting close. Sadly most end the same with a cattle fence gate or just signs saying "Restricted Area."

All the tall mountains are inside the Restricted Area so no base view is available. I did climb Sharp Peak at: 37° 40.226'N, 115° 53.603'W. About a 500 foot hill with a 'King of the Mountain' type view of Rachel and Back Gate. Red Flag Hill is also easy and fun: 37° 34.013'N, 115° 40.182'W. I have the 'Red Flag' geocache up there. Then there is Ft Sims. Gorgeous view of Rachel from there...

In Reply to: Re: Western Access to Tikaboo Pk? posted by astra7 on June 15, 2012 at 14:01:37 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]