Re: Tikaboo Peak Camping Question

Message posted by Marcus on May 12, 2012 at 18:23:03 PST:

Mike,
As far as fire permits go, No, it's not a permit kind of a place. It is not a state park, there is NO ONE out there to regulate things. To go along with that if anything went wrong, there is NO ONE out there and you are on your own.

You may have seen talk about (and copies) of Glen's Area 51 Vistors Guide. I highly recommend you check that out. Glen is a great guy who had the whole specifics figured out. I went up with him last year during 'Groomfest'.

I have made the climb 5 times now and Wednesday was the first time that I camped. The greatest thing that I took from it was... You get the best view of the base the earilest you get to the peak (This site gives the same advise and is spot on). If I had the whole thing to do over again, I would not of camped on the mountain (and we didn't bring tents). Based on your postings, I am guessing that you have not made the hike before. It's a huge pain in the ass taking up all of the supplies that you need for a few hours, much less bringing overnight supplies.
After climbing five times and camping on the mountain once, I highly recommend the following:
Camp in the parking area. Start your hike at daybreak (~5am) (I mean walking away from your tents). Get to the top as soon as you can and enjoy the view. Do it on a weekday so you can watch the Janet jets moving around.
Night time is really cool but not worth the effort, especially if you only have one shot.
Three of us made the recent hike and everyone of us that hiked up and carried extra weight for the overnight stay said it was not worth the extra effort. The view was only great first thing in the morning and you can see that by hiking up at daybreak with more than half the pack weight.

I have made 5 great climbs following the advise from Joerg and this site. I am sure you will be fine if you do the same.

Good luck and have fun!

Marcus

In Reply to: Re: Tikaboo Peak Camping Question posted by Mike L. on May 12, 2012 at 16:08:59 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]