Re: Glenn Campbell's Area 51 Viewers Guide -Free

Message posted by Alan Gudaitis on May 04, 2012 at 11:52:11 PST:

Part of the folklore surrounding Area 51 could not possibly be complete without a study of Glen Campbell. Outside of Bob Lazar revealing to George Knapp the existence of the government installation buried deep in the Nevada desert, it was in my opinion, the machinations of Glen's adventurous spirit and inquisitiveness that really brought the secret base into the publics eye.

It can't be argued that Glen is an eccentric individual in the true sense of the word, and he is one of the few open and honest individuals you will ever find. His true passion then and now is the study of human relationships and the social and ideological reactions of people. He was always, and still is, the consummate observer.

It was Glen who discovered Freedom Ridge and named it so. That should give us an idea where he was coming from. It was a place where anyone with a 4X4 could drive up to, park, and look at Groom Lake from a distance far more closer than Tikapoo Peak. Less than a quarter of a mile away, on another ridge, our beloved Cammo Dudes would also park, and check us out with their cameras. It was actually humorous at times, and yet a bit scary too. You could never be sure what base security would do at any given time.

Yes, I had the privilege of being there at that time and place to enjoy the view. My wife and I still consider Glen a good friend.

Freedom Ridge is one of the reasons the Air Force acquired it and White Sides along with quite a few thousand more acres, to insulate Groom Lake from prying eyes, and I don't blame them. It was a hell of a view.

Glen made a lot of enemies and friends on both sides of the fence, so to speak. A character then and now in his own right, a rare breed indeed, with an adventurous spirit rarely seen in this day an age. I doubt the things that went on then could be done today.
It was a hell of a ride I can sure you.

Read all the issues of the Desert Rat you can find. I think all of you who enjoy Joerg's Dreamland Resort will definitely enjoy the flavor of those times, the 90's, our age of innocence, when the allure and mystique of Area 51 was incredibly intense, inviting, and yet so dangerous.

Right or wrong, there are many unsung heroes who have contributed to our knowledge of Area 51. Chuck Clark carried the flame for many years after Glen left, and Chuck paid a heavy price for that.

Common sense tells me that our Government knew the base could not be kept secret forever. It was only a matter of time. And so here we are today, still trying to satiate our appetite for uncovering secrets that might, in some cases be left alone.

We will forever be here in Dreamland. It is just the way it is.

Alan

In Reply to: Glenn Campbell's Area 51 Viewers Guide -Free posted by Robert on May 03, 2012 at 14:32:35 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]