Re: Question to Peter Merlin

Message posted by OldThudMan~!!~ on March 25, 2012 at 8:47:36 PST:

Much of the aircraft types to have landed (emergency) at Dreamland is and will remain secret or somewhat secret........If you recall Area51 was not common knowledge until 1994ish.....An article in Popular Mechanics or Popular Science (don't recall which) showed released aerial photos of this secret/unspoken base .......
That said, while I was stationed at Nellis AFB in 63 or 64 a fellow tech and I were headed to the line. IIRC we were going to replace a box in a F-104G, which had a modified ASG-19 system....Along the way we met a friend of my buddy and we shot the bull for a few minutes........After awhile this friend relayed a strange story.......
Seems one of our 105's had problems and had to land....and did so in a dry lake bed.......Shortly after he stopped he found himself surrounded by the P's, ordered out of his jet and taken "below" ground and interrogated for some time.....In the mean time what ever problem he had was fixed....he was then order back into his sled and told (under thread) that if he told of his landing here he'd be dealt with....Well he told his Commanding Officer and Ground Crew all about it....I mentioned this story at chow that evening and everyone just shrugged their shoulders, I said yeah you're probably right....I forgot the story until the article in 94(?).........
I suspect the story got embellished by the pilot or even purposely embellish by the CIA/A51 by including underground facilities (which there may be some)to hide the real A51......It makes more sense that A51 would have jet mechanics/hydraulic/etc techs than some underground facility (to me anyway).......
So it seems that at least one of the early visitors to A51 (or TTR?)was an F-105D (AKA THUD)......

In Reply to: Question to Peter Merlin posted by Mike Rokita on March 24, 2012 at 23:40:37 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]