When Did They Extend The Runway At TTR?

Message posted by Vern on February 19, 2012 at 13:42:05 PST:

I was just cruising around on the Airnav website and just for fun, looked up TTR. Something that jumped out at me is the fact that the runway has been extended from 10,000ft (probably back in the early 1990s) to 12,000ft today.

I know the runway was extended from 8,000ft to 10,000 for the F-117s back in the mid 1980s. We had special Nellis range airfield info packs for when we went to Red Flag that gave the runway length for the field under the name "Silverbow".

I distinctly recall wondering what was up when the TTR runway was extended that first time. Now that I see it's been extended a second time I'm wondering what went on at TTR after the F-117s left.

I can admit that I had a friend who worked F-117 program management when they moved to Holloman and he mentioned he was told "If you need it, make sure it gets out of there by (a certain date). Because the new tenants will be moving in and you'll never be let back in there to get it."

I wonder what moved into TTR that needed an even longer runway and was so classified that F-117 personnel weren't allowed to be on the base? Maybe something to do with the 2 large hangers that are now there, too?

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]