Re: Happy New Year...

Message posted by Allison Wunderland on January 01, 2012 at 15:27:08 PST:

"and I have seen folks close to 60 make it"

I'm 63, no lightweight when it comes to hiking both altitude and rugged terrain. Maybe I can set a new benchmark for age of access to the summit.

OK, we have a WiFi connection now . . . ! ! !

Is this the access road to Tikaboo? Generally west from Alamo, about 18 plus miles? (I cut across a lot of the corners.)

Then, the trail in the second image, in red -- more or less from what I can see of the contours?

My GPS and Google Earth are showing the trail being about 1.25 mi. GPS (Garmin) shows a "Badger Mountain" in the general area. Elevation 7973' -- some steep terrain from the eastern approach. So is Tikaboo Peak on Badger Mountain. (We ask because we're constrained to images on GPS and Google Earth, and are wanting to reconnoiter before getting on the trail.)

Ham radio indeed! I expected you'd just plug the cell-phone access into the laptop and log on to the internet. *LMAO*

YES! I realize that cellular coverage in the area is spotty to non-existent. I get weather reports for Winnemucca, Reno, Las Vegas, Tonopah, Ash Springs. It's getting down into the teens at night.

In Reply to: Re: Happy New Year... posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on January 01, 2012 at 11:21:58 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]