Re: Happy New Year...

Message posted by Allison Wunderland on January 01, 2012 at 7:27:20 PST:

Re:

Dreamland Resort Tikaboo Expedition 2000 (4/26-4/28/2000)
by Connie (located in The DLR Team section)

-------------

Bear with here, I'm just beginning to figure out this forum interface. Evidently there's no "edit option" for earlier posts to a thread.

I'm interested in organizing a sojourn to Tikaboo sometime in the spring. Reason being that I'm from Oregon, would be traveling alone in a 4WD Ford Ranger, and can appreciate that Tikaboo is not an area to be explored solo.

I'm 63, male (despite the name here; it's a long story), Army veteran w/ some considerable background in mountaineering in both OR and AK. I regularly do 10 mile plus hikes in steep, challenging terrain.

Beyond this, I'm thinking that a group can move more gear up the hillside than just one hiker. The whole crew can use a telescope. It takes just one person to haul it up the hill. Likewise, tents sleeping 3 or 4 persons can be carried by one. Same w/ water.

I read Joerg's account of the internet broadcast from Tikaboo and that they lose battery power just as things get interesting. I'm wondering now if there is the technology to power a broadcast using solar cells?

With a bit of planning/preparation it would seem possible to set up a "base camp" on Tikaboo to allow hikers access over a stretch of time. This sort of arrangement allows re-supply for food, water, batteries.

I realize the area is sparse and desolate, but I'm guessing (hoping) there's enough interest in viewing from Tikaboo that it might be practical to set up an observation camp for a couple weeks?

In other news, I'm on dial-up right now (boonies). When I get into town and WiFi, I'll be able to access Google Earth and some GPS topographic data and have a look at the access to Tikaboo.

Thx -- AW

In Reply to: Re: Happy New Year... posted by Allison Wunderland on January 01, 2012 at 7:05:00 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]