Re: Camera on Tikaboo- Just Ask

Message posted by Gregos on November 03, 2011 at 8:58:44 PST:

Has anyone seen the GPS coordinates for the new weather station?

The last time I spent the night up on Tikaboo Peak, I camped below the summit at a small campsite about 200 feet off the trail. I did this for two reasons: First I was hoping not to tip off the base that I was up there in case they have long range optics focused on the peak from Bald Mountain or the base, etc. Second, there is a bit more room down there if I wanted to set up my tent in case of bad weather. Albeit not as good of a view as the peak, the campsite was a great place to watch the base from at night. That campsite is at: 37° 20.590'N / 115° 21.441'W

I also climbed at Sunset arriving at the campsite well after dark. I don't know if it's still there, but someone put 3M reflective tape in the trees marking the path. I thought it was easier to follow the tail with my LED headlamp on illuminating my way! So my point is if it's not an infrared camera, would they be able to see you if you climbed at night?

One final thought, I remember a post from the past speculating there may be magnetic sensors along the road to Badger Springs. If that was the case, they wouldn't need a camera as they would have an invisible detection system.

So for now, I'm going to embrace the new weather station. Thanks Area 51 for giving me real time weather in the planning of my next trip up! I now know to pack my extra thermals!!! ;-)

In Reply to: Re: Camera on Tikaboo- Just Ask posted by gp3po on November 03, 2011 at 4:34:20 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]