Re: Plant 42

Message posted by JinTx on September 19, 2011 at 20:43:04 PST:

Interesting Beale came up in all this, Beale is one of the reasons I have followed all things black for sometime. As a kid my stepfather somehow hooked us up with a tour. The year would have been between 1981 and 1984. I did not think much of it when he told us a few months before about the trip, I figured another air show type thing. One thing I do remember is our family having to submit our names, ssns, etc. to get the ok to tour. Again as a kid I did not think much of it. Well I knew the tour would be a little different when we were on the base waiting for our guides when the walls of the building we were in shook time after time from some type of aircraft taking off. I figured must be a big plane. Then I knew for sure things were a little different when we were introduced to our tour team which consisted of guards with visible machine guns. We were told the guards would always be with our group and in no circumstances should we leave their site. When we left the tour briefing area we saw the source of the rumbling, SR71s, one or two if I remember correctly. I think possibly they were doing touch and goes. Anyway on the tour we were able to see U2s and SR71s in their hangers. At one point while walking by one I reached up and touched one...even after being specifically told not to :) Any way one of the coolest days of my life to that point and something I will never forget. Thus the reason I think some things black need to be brought into the light, if for no other reason to inspire our kids to be scientist and not sports players.

In Reply to: Re: Plant 42 posted by RickB on September 16, 2011 at 10:24:57 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]