Groom Lake "Scholarship" . . . How do I apply?

Message posted by velvetelvis on July 10, 2011 at 18:18:38 PST:

So while looking into other folks that share the same Las Vegas P.O. box as Det 3/Afftc, Det 1/AFERG, AFOSI/PJ, and other known Groom Lake tenants, I came across this:

WILLIAM F. MCLEOD MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP FUND, INC.

Why it's interesting (other than the inherently "spooky" address):

1) The entity has been registered as a non-profit organization for 13 years. It is identified as one that receives "a substantial part of its support from a governmental unit or the general public". As google searches reveal no fund-raising activities for the organization, it would seem to be a pretty safe bet that the source of its continued funding is not the general public.

2) The entity claims to rake in less than $25,000 per year, and is accordingly exempt from filing paperwork declaring its actual financial transactions.

3) The treasurer of the fund lists his occupation as "Director, Financial Analysis, USAF" and other named affiliates have addresses in both the Las Vegas area and Palmdale, CA.

(I won't name names here b/c I presume that at least some of these individuals are presently employed at/affiliated with the base).

4) I can't find any obits for a Wm. Mcleod that offer any plausible suspects for being the namesake of the fund.

5) This is not the only alleged non-profit with this mailing address. There is also the possibly even more mysterious Dana Lesher Benfit Fund -- an organization that I can't find ANY info for, aside from a potential connection to Dyncorp, a "a global government services provider in support of U.S. national security and foreign policy objectives".

So . . . what does DLR think? Are these run-of-the-mill benefit funds for employees of the National Classified Test Facility? Or, is there something more interesting going on here?

With apologies for the length,
-velvetelvis

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]