Re: F-18 Close Support Training at Bravo 17 NAS Fallon

Message posted by RickB on June 11, 2011 at 16:22:04 PST:

Paul, thanks for this document. Looks like some great info for my area here in Illinois/Wisconsin. I never got into the scanner equipment like I should have - my friends always had that stuff going. Unfortunately, the pictured Springfield, IL ANG F-16 (tailcode SI "Southern Illinois") squadron has been withdrawn.

Growing up and living near NAS Glenview my whole life, there was quite a bit of activity going on from the 1960's through the base close in 1993. Glenview was the only naval air station in the midwest and there was always lots of transient aircraft on the weekends. The tenant aircraft was mainly P-3 Orions and C-130's, although there were some A-4's stationed at the base in the late 1960's for a couple of years. This is where the Navy A-4 Skyhawk "Air Barons" demonstration team was based. This was the only other U.S. military jet demonstration team besides the Blue Angels, Thunderbirds and Skyblazers (a short lived 1960's USAF demonstration team in Europe, also flying the F-100 like the T-Birds). I used to hang out with friends at the end of the main runway on Friday evenings and Sunday afternoon's to watch the aircraft land and depart.

The Hardwood MOA is just north of Volk Field near Camp Douglas about halfway between Madison and Lacross WI. The airfield is used to support the aircraft during the military aircraft training operations in the Hardwood MOA which takes place once or twice a year. I was never there during the exercises at Volk/Hardwood, but NAS Glenview was used as the visiting base for the initial arrivals and final departures of the participating aircraft before leaving to fly back to home base. Saw many aircraft - sometimes as many as 30 or 40 or more come through Glenview in route to and from these exercises.

In Reply to: Re: F-18 Close Support Training at Bravo 17 NAS Fallon posted by Paul on June 11, 2011 at 13:43:44 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]