Re: Some extra airspace was needed last night

Message posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on March 09, 2011 at 19:23:25 PST:

Interesting, thanks for the post. Around the same time this restriction was in effect, the radar sites at the Area 51 Back Gate were active. They fired up after the Red Flag night sortie wound down around 11pm. Shortly afterwards I heard a flight (did not catch the call sign) "heavy" checking into the Dreamland MOA from the SW. Again a short while later I watched a very large aircraft doing several passes in an elongated figure-eight pattern roughly north-south over the backgate radar sites between Chalk Mountain and the highway. At one point the aircraft headed east, passing over Rachel only a few miles north. It was VERY quiet and very large (judging from the space between the wing tip lights. By this time it was well past midnight, and I am not sure if it returned.

BTW: As most of our regulars will know, Sierra 99 is the callsign for a tanker out of Travis AFB that frequently provides AAR for test flights in the Dreamland MOA.

PS: The last slide in your video must be a mistake. The KC-10 is not Element-115-AAR capable... :-)

In Reply to: Some extra airspace was needed last night posted by Paul on March 09, 2011 at 18:37:09 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]