Re: SR-71/A-12 Blackbird Quiz

Message posted by Magoo on December 05, 2001 at 13:12:48 PST:

I've heard the M4+ stories too, but I've also had it mathematically explained to me that M3.75 was about the top speed due to the shock wave from the forward fuselage bending back and entering the engine intakes, thus causing the engine to stall or 'unstart'. The aircraft probably had a 'theoretical' top speed of M4, but this simple but unfixable problem is what kept the speeds 'down'.

The longitudinal corrigations on the wings were originally intended to provide additional surface area for cooling of the wing's upper and lower surfaces(much like the surface of the radiator on your car), and also allow for that expansion and contraction. However, it was later found to also give the additional lift (on the underside only) and longitudinal stability benefits of which Wolfbane speaks.

The fuselage chines that ran from the nose to the wing root also gave alot of lift, but had the additional benefit of providing additional sensor bays, and of also drastically reducing the radar cross section of the jet when compared to the earler A-11 and A-10 drawing board and RCS model designs.

Magoo

In Reply to: Re: SR-71/A-12 Blackbird Quiz posted by wolfbane on December 05, 2001 at 9:41:35 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]