OT-Tracing Planes

Message posted by jbowers62 on February 09, 2011 at 12:48:43 PST:

Hey guys, this is my first time posting and I found DLR about a year and a half ago and have just been reading because I am new to all this. I know is is off topic, but I thought if anyone can help me, someone here can. I live in south central PA, not near any major bases of any branch of the military. It's not really ordinary for me to spot anything other than commercial jets, life flight helos, and small civilian aircraft.

But last night (2/08/2011), we were returning from a fire call and a couple of us noticed an odd array of lights in the sky.

At first it appeared to be two planes flying together one after another, moving at a decent rate of speed. The first plane had bright white lights with a red flasher underneath and the rear plane appeared to only have one white light and a flasher. At that point, I really didn't think much of it and then as we continued on as the went across the sky and the angle changed, it appeared to be THREE planes. The first two flying very VERY close to one another and the rear plane still keeping about the same distance. I also noticed the front plane appeared to have four bright white lights the red flasher underneath and then down underneath the plane to the rear, no lights, just another red flasher and the "chase" plane I could see three lights and the flasher. The first thought that came to my mind, was a refuel operation. I just still found it odd because they were relativity low (I don't know what altitude they do those transfers at) and again, I am just not use to seeing things like that around here.

I know that was kind of strung to together, I apologize but I was wondering if anyone that tracks planes on their computer programs and such, could look that up or if there is anywhere I could look? I really feel that the formation they were in was most definitely not a commercial jet. I am just curious because if it is something...then I want to start to look for it haha.

I put the area where I viewed the planes in the link below. We were driving south on "Raystown Road" and the planes were flying North-Northwest.

Thanks so much guys!

Attached link: Google Maps

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]