Re: New generation of unmanned spy planes being tested

Message posted by Tim Hendrix on January 15, 2011 at 21:44:35 PST:

I normally don’t weigh in on discussions of a sensitive nature when opinions are so obviously polarized but I would like to comment on the issue currently being discussed in this thread. I too have travelled to many different countries and I lived a quarter of my adult life in Europe. I agree that it is difficult to really appreciate what we have here in the United States unless you’ve seen firsthand how others live and think. To say that money spent on sophisticated weapons systems could be ‘used’ to feed, clothe and render medical aid to others is a rather simplistic point of view. It just doesn’t work that way from an economic standpoint. For one thing, it doesn’t take into consideration how many people in this country (and in other countries) benefit directly and indirectly from the development, manufacture and deployment of these weapons systems. There are tens of thousands of people whose paychecks depend to some degree on these industries. I’m sure that their families, communities and the companies with whom they do business themselves appreciate the benefits derived from these jobs.

Secondly, I sincerely believe that unless we have at our disposal the very best defense technology available this country will be placed in harm’s way. Not only this country but many, many others will also be at risk. The deterrent value of the most sophisticated systems eliminates their necessity of use simply by existing. How many imperialistic regimes think twice about annihilating a neighbor if they know there will be swift and deadly consequences? There are people in the world that wish us dead and gone from the face of the planet. They are a minority, yes, but I would rather have the ability to fight them in their backyard than have to fight them in mine.

And last but not least, I want those young people serving in our armed forces to have the very best technology at their disposal to ensure their safety. My children and my grandchildren, if and when they choose to serve, deserve the absolute best that this country is capable of producing or we should not ask them to put their lives on the line. Like it or not this is the world in which we live. Ideally, we could all find a way to live in harmony. Unfortunately there are groups out there who will never accept global peace except under their extremist terms. They will continue to make war upon neighboring nations with whom they do not see eye to eye and we will be compelled to act as a moderating force in an attempt to maintain some semblance of order and preserve lives and liberty in the process.

In Reply to: Re: New generation of unmanned spy planes being tested posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on January 14, 2011 at 16:26:20 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]