Re: Peter you can't just leave us hanging here for 4 months :) Two questions though

Message posted by Peter Merlin on January 07, 2011 at 0:03:04 PST:

Now, obviously, the terms "Area 51" and "Groom Lake" and their direct association were not classified during the period while the CIA was operating the base. These terms appeared on unclassified maps and documents. Area 51 telephone numbers (for the commander, security office, etc.)were published in unclassified newsletters, and the guards wore badges with the words AREA 51 SECURITY FORCE. Since this terminology was always used in conjunction with Atomic Energy Commission activities (Nevada Test Site), there was no overt connection to the CIA.

In case nobody has figured it out, the "second project" on Area 51 is a book. I expect it will mainly cover the AQUATONE/OXCART era but will most likely contain many new stories from the people who actually worked at Area 51.

"May Parade" ???

The CIA apparently decided that these terms were "secret by association" and routinely redacted them from declassified documents. This changed last October when the agency decided to declassify the terms and use them openly for the first time during the Roadrunners heritage tour. I have wanted to mention this for several months but I was hoping to get a copy of the official statement regarding the change in policy. Unfortunately, this internal memo is currently not available.

In Reply to: Peter you can't just leave us hanging here for 4 months :) Two questions though posted by   on January 06, 2011 at 17:25:49 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]