Perspective

Message posted by Magoo on November 29, 2001 at 0:30:52 PST:

For those of use who are regulars on this forum, I think I speak for most people when I say we welcome newcomers with just about any information or contribution they wish to share with us (except perhaps that stupid post about the A51 research Center...let it go already!). I would also encourage everyone to look at things with a bit of perspective.

Being the eternal sceptic, I am almost always hesitant to dive right in and believe everything people say on the forum, no matter how much I want to believe them! This particularly applies to newcomers who seemingly have an almost limitless vein of information at their disposal.

Wolfbane, if I have seemed sceptical about your posts, please don't take it personally, but I am! I'm not calling you a liar, because I don't KNOW for certain that the things you say are false, incorrect or misleading. However, the timing of your arrival here neatly coincided with a flurry of activity on this forum, and I can't help but wonder what your motivation is for discussing these matters so openly. You ask us not to ask questions, but then you continue to give us more information! If the matters of which you speak are not classified, why is it there is no verifiable information available in the ‘white’ world?

I happen to believe it would be logical for an F-111 successor to be, if not operational, then certainly in development. The retirement of the 'Vark' left a large capability gap that neither the B-1 nor the F-15E can hope to fill. Whether or not that is the "A-11 Astra" or not is another matter. I doubt however, that it looks anything like an “oversize F-117” as it has been described.

I would certainly like to believe that there is an 'Aurora' (or whatever) out there, but, as much as I LOVE the SR-71, I really doubt whether there is a capability requirement for such an aircraft any more. SAR and IR 'overheads' and stand-off platforms (Global Hawk, JSTARS, U-2, Predator,? etc) can cover 98% of that operational need now.

What I have said here is not necessarily anyone else’s opinion but my own. In summary, please continue your posts, but please do not be offended if we try to glean more information from you, or if we tend to doubt some of your information. We have no independent means by which to verify what you say, and I for one would rather err on the conservative side.

Magoo

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]