F-117 Reality

Message posted by Noone on November 21, 2010 at 1:19:36 PST:

I've just been reading the forum posts about the F-117 sighting/s and I think some people have far too big an expectation of what is probably going on.

Seeing a former USAF aircraft flying does not mean:

It's operational
It's weapons certified
It's off to war ever again
It's being operated by the USAF
It's being funded by the USAF
It's anything to do with the USAF

A couple were known to have been kept in flyable storage when the airframes were retired. Flyable storage means mechanically the airframe could be bought back to life if the right parts were around. It does not mean the paperwork trail and certifications are in place to make it anything other than a limited use flyable airframe. There's a reason why Migs, black aircraft and the F-117s are only ever seen in non-civil airspace, only flying over the desert and flown by test pilots. Besides, we know there are chemicals onboard which not everyone wants to admit to.

My guess is if the USAF are using the airframe then its being rented from LMCO on a per-hour basis.

The question is, what's it being used for?

My guess is the following:

To teach WPS students how stealth aircraft compare to traditional aircraft when being detected now that there are other stealth aircraft appearing in the world. The F-117 does not have the dogfight capability to take part once found, so purely for detection training purposes. However, why not use a stealthy training UAV?

The F-117 will be being used for its stealth properties, otherwise an F-15, F-16, T-38 would be used. But there are better stealth aircraft already in the white world but perhaps getting their hands on these its too difficult?

Lots to think about, although I think it's not nearly as exciting as we think.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]