Re: Wikimapia

Message posted by RickB on November 19, 2010 at 22:33:13 PST:

Thanks Peter. I guess that is the case with anything that starts with those four letters "Wiki..." today :)

What I found most interesting and extremely useful (being from Chicago and only getting out there a couple times of year) is that it helped give me an incredibly quick overview of what all is out there based on information that I have already read and researched and with locations that seem to be fairly accurate (many of course which are within the ranges and cannot be reached by the average public Joe, like me). It's just cool to have a little better idea of what all is out there, what it might be, and (generally) where it is, after searching Google Earth for years with not nearly as much success!

For example, I did not know that there is a large Red Flag target area just east of Creech. I heard about that particular area once when I was out there and staying in Pahrump ("...that it was like an air show with everything that we fly all day long"). After reviewing the Wikipedia highlight markings, it is clear to see all the targets and related activity that are in this area upon zooming in.

Maybe now I might get a little luckier and find another spot to see something interesting the next time I am out there. Just like fishing and hunting...and boxes of chocolates!

Rick

In Reply to: Re: Wikimapia posted by Peter Merlin on November 19, 2010 at 14:39:10 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]