Re: Air Show over Spruce Flat Bog

Message posted by Rodeo65 on October 18, 2010 at 0:09:47 PST:

I can't tell you what they do today but back in the early 60's they used to have mock wars between regions. While my father was stationed at Luke AFB in AZ, I witnessed two war simulations. In the first one, they placed a mobile radar site in the middle of a baseball diamond just at the west end of the base housing. One morning aircraft from California came in right over the housing area simulating straffing or bombing runs on the radar site. Of course they were in hot air ballons back in those days. (Just kidding, they were F-100's I think from George AFB.) Scared the heck out of the dog and woke us all up. I could see the pilots so I know they were very,very low. (This was better than an airshow, the planes were closer.) They did that twice and bombed the flight line a couple of times as well. One evening there were an awful lot of contrails going every witch way over the base and I have to assume there was some sort of dog fight going on but I couldn't see the aircraft very well. The second year the radar site was gone but they bombed the flight line a couple of times. Of course back in those days, Luke AFB was pretty much out in the sticks and they may have been able to work around some of the altitude/noise restrictions that they have today. I can't imagine that they could do that today say up at Hill AFB or even Luke AFB. Too much housing or businesses next to them. Sorry about the rambling.

In Reply to: Air Show over Spruce Flat Bog posted by The 7th Man on October 17, 2010 at 22:48:52 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]