Re: Why Russia radar sites?

Message posted by Magoo on November 21, 2000 at 17:43:06 EST:

>I then saw a fairly low-flying plane, about the size >of a 737, circle over Sand Spring Valley...

Joerg and I spoke about this on email not long after it happened, and I speculated that it may have been one of the commercial aircraft-based test beds for either the JSF or F-22 undergoing some kind of test.

The F-22 test-bed is based on a B757 airframe with a modified forward fuselage that contains much of the avionics, EW, radar and other electronic equipment that is destined for the F-22. Boeing have a similarly modified B737-200 with X-32 avionics and systems. It may have been one of these aircraft that was flying 'against' the AWACS and the 'Russian' radars that night as part of the testing process for their systems.

I just can't find a logical link to the Groom control though, unless perhaps the Lockheed or Boeing contractors were using their facilities at Groom to conduct the test due to its proximity to the terst area.

Any additional thoughts? Perhaps our friends 'Phantom' or 'Devil Dawg' may be able to shead some light?

Magoo

In Reply to: Re: Why Russia radar sites? posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on November 21, 2000 at 14:59:02 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]